Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday's Message

      We are going to do something different on Mondays,  my husband will be posting a message.  This one is sure dear to my heart:).  

                                                                     Little Guys

You know who they are. Or maybe you don't. It might be that you just don't notice them. But they are there, just the same.
Just the other day I was at church and I saw a boy standing all by himself after the service had ended. Other children were playing with one another, talking and just being kids. Now you need to understand that no one was intending to exclude him but it happened just the same. 
Last August I retired from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Over the years I became acquainted with a man who worked at the department auto shop in Austin. His name was Bill. He was small in stature. I don't mean just short, I mean very short. Maybe four foot something.
When meeting him it was obvious he had problems. He seemed shocked when I would greet him by name. As if that did not happen too often. His attitude was sour and his nature was distrusting. In short, Bill had been run over in life. The butt of the joke, the last one picked(if picked at all), his life was a wreck. All of this had taken its toll on one that had been made in the image of God.
Maybe if when he was young someone had taken time to befriend him instead of taking advantage Bill may have been different. A long term investment is what he was.
Jesus said, "Permit the little children to come to me for of such is the kingdom of God." He also said if anyone offended the little ones that believe in Him it would be better to have a millstone tied around his neck to be thrown into the sea.
These are pretty strong words from the God of the universe. I for one think He means what He says. He intends that one day we will give an account of how we treat those who are most vulnerable.
These are just two of the ones I have come across. And if I have encountered these you have some as well. The question for you and I is what will we do with these tremendous opportunities?
Each person we meet will have their own set of problems and heartaches. They, like you and I have a past. Some of it is their own fault, some of it not. Some of it is the fault of others and yes, some of it, like the blind man healed by Jesus is not the fault of anyone at all but will be used for the glory of God.
Our responsibility is not as a judge. We are to see them as God sees them. Someone made in His image, worth befriending, worth the investment, worth dying for.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to look forward to these Mondays!! Just as much as I look forward to each post of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good reminder not to miss any opporunities! Words to ponder!

    ReplyDelete